Monday, January 17, 2011

It's positive!


So I decided to take a pregnancy test last Friday after work. We were about to go to Four Peaks Brewery and I had missed my period by a day. Normally this wouldn't be too much cause for concern but I felt like my period really shouldn't be late since the last 3 months had been six week long cycles. That's right, I was in the 50s as far as days go in between periods so I didn't really think that my body should be going much longer. What was the harm in testing anyway? It could either be positive and prevent me from doing something I regretted later (like drink a whole bunch of beer that night) or it could at least give me assurance that I wasn't positive so I could drink a whole bunch of beer that night...so I tested. PLUS SIGN....almost literally as soon as my pee soaked through the little window. I think I panicked a little because I put it down out of sight right away to wait for the whole three minutes like the box said to do...three minutes later I picked it up again...YES, it was positive! I even checked the box to make sure I was reading it right. Holy cow! I think I stared at it for a solid minute before coming to. I can't even remember what I was thinking about honestly...I'm sure it was along the lines of how our lives are going to change forever, is this really happening right now, etc. Then I hear the garage door open. OMG how am I going to tell him?? I take a few deep breaths to calm my heart beating that is now in my ears. I actually had thought about this scenario a few times before. How would I break the happy news? Would I leap out of the bathroom with a giant grin and the proof in my hand? Or maybe I would take a picture of the stick and message it to him with some clever saying like "daddy's eyes only"? I couldn't keep on wasting this time in the bathroom, I'm just going to play it by ear once I get out there. I take a deep breath and reach for the doorknob. Then I hear her....my mother-in-law...NOOO!! Now what am I going to do? I quickly shove the stick in my pocket and open the door. It was all the usual pleasantries in the kitchen..."how was your day? Fine. How was yours?" etc etc. I quickly snapped back to the task at hand primarily because of the severity of the news that I was afraid was going to burst out my mouth but also because I had a pee soaked stick in my pocket...which is gross. So I made my way upstairs. That's it, he's going to need to come up to change out of his work clothes and if I go up now he'll want to know what I'm doing. So I get upstairs to our bedroom and I wait...and wait...about 5 minutes later I finally hear him come up. My heart is beating in my ears again. He's talking about something, I have no idea what because I can't hear him. I can just hear my own voice in my head saying "SHUSSHH! I need to tell you that I'm pregnant!" So I hand over the stick. He looks at it with extreme caution with a sort of WTF face. Then he looks at me and says what does it mean? In a tone implying that he knows exactly what this means. Then he looks back at the stick, then looks at me...a small grin forming. So I say" well I wouldn't be showing you a test that didn't matter"....and then we both stare at it with amazed and is this for real faces for about a minute before someone speaks. That someone is our rational side. Ok now let's not get too excited yet...let's make an appt with the doc asap...let's wait to hear what they say... I think this talk was more for him, because I was already evolving into preggo mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment